Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Why No CDs? Show Notes 9/2-6

        "We Don't Play CDs on This Show" 

"Nope...Just Records."

It's true. This is a two-hour weekly show about Big Band music, and when it comes to the historic recordings of the popular bands of the 1930s, 40s and 50s, we rely on source material from the World's Greatest Record Library. Why? Because I can trust it. I've been collecting records since I was in Grade School. All those years have taught me how to identify the genuine article. And that's what I'm determined to play on this show. I believe in the original hit recordings of the Big Band Era. These are the records that went to the top of the charts. And I want to bring them to you sounding as authentic and original as I possibly can. 

To be completely hones, I'm not sitting here in the studio spinning records as I do the show each week. I started back in 2000, dubbing records to the hard drive, and using a combination of analog and digital tools to help them sound as good as they can be made to sound. I use EQ, bandpass filters, and occasionally even some compression and expansion. I usually employ digital pop and click removal, and occasionally, digital surface noise reduction. What you hear on the show is these "sanitized" cuts playing back off the hard drive. Of course, the original records are still right here on the shelf. 

Big Band reissues on CD can be problematic for several reasons. Often, these releases are similar to the original hit version, but not the real deal. Maybe an alternate take from the same recording session...or maybe an obscure version cut years later. The true nature of each cut on a reissue CD can be very difficult to nail down. If you're like me, and you've been listening to this music all your life, you know the hit take when you hear it. Anything else fails to satisfy. 

Quite often, the engineers mixing and mastering these CDs get very ambitious trying to make these vintage recordings sound more modern, and have been known to employ a variety of subtle and not-so-subtle tricks and effects in that pursuit. Extreme brightening of the top end of the audio spectrum, or a major bottom-end roll-off may make some of these cuts more pleasing to modern ears. But this is an attempt to make these recordings into something they're not. Records made between 1935 and 1948 have a particular, charming sound due to the comparatively narrow frequency range of the recorded sound. As a sound engineer, you have to respect those boundaries and understand that the only thing on the record outside of that narrow range is noise: Rumble on the bottom and hiss on the top. 

My approach is to evaluate each record individually and make the most of what's there. I never add reverb or fake stereo effects. A lot of what we play comes off of the original 78s from the period. More comes from reissue albums from the major record labels. Surprisingly, over the years, RCA's Reader's Digest packages have yielded some of the cleanest transfers. And, IMHO, the way I process the audio delivers a more natural and certainly a more original sound. 

I've peeled off the cuts I need from the many compilation albums with various artists, and I'm now working through the single-artist LPs alphabetically. At this writing, I'm up to Woody Herman. And it's taken me 20 years to get this far. I'm 62 years old. I think I can make it to the finish line.

I sincerely hope you enjoy this week's show. We have special Spotlight features on Les Brown and the Glenn Miller Army Air Force band. We get to hear some of Les's best recordings, including some with Doris Day. This time, however, we successfully resist the impulse to play Sentimental Journey. And the AAF band is simply magnificent, packed full of some of the best players of The Greatest Generation. Luckily, the broadcast and dress rehearsal recordings of NBC's I Sustain the Wings program have survived well into the 21st Century. 

Other highlights this week include appearances by Peggy Lee with Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five, Fats Waller, Vaughn Monroe, and my all-time favorite record by Larry Clinton. We hear from Harry James, Count Basie, Kay Kyser, Duke Ellington and many more. We even go way back to 1932 for a special treat from Bing Crosby and the Mills Brothers. Bet you can guess what it is!

Remember to call a young musician or band student this week and invite them to listen to the show with you. They need to hear this music, and it'll be the high point of their week.

Thanks for wading through all the geek stuff here. People often ask me where I get the music for this show, so I thought I'd share a little about how all that works. As always, we'd love to hear from you, either here or on our Facebook page. Take good care of one another this week,and above all, 

Keep Swinging! 

Scott           


4 comments:

  1. Brilliant as always mate. Hope les browns ‘leapfrog’ is in there. One of my all time faves!! Love the blogs too.
    Greetings from locked down Melbourne Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got your wish, Rusty! Thanks for the kind words and hope you are all fat and sassy!

      Delete
  2. Great post. I fully agree Scott with the sanitized new recordings not making the mark. I’ll apply noise reduction from time to time, or amplify the recording to a correct dB level, but that’s about it. Great article! —Tim Miller (Find my station on Radio.net under WHAX)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Tim! People can't imagine the hours of meticulous work that go into audio restoration. If you'd like to carry In the Mood on your station, send me an email at gsmedia2005@gmail.com. The show is free to any station that wants it. Scott

    ReplyDelete